UF veterinary student receives AKC Scholarship

Charlotte and pups

Charlotte Wessel with her dogs.

Charlotte Wissel, a second-year student at the UF College of Veterinary Medicine, has received a veterinary outreach scholarship from the American Kennel Club.

While earning her master’s degree from UF, Wissel began taking her two bull terriers to handling classes and entering them into the AKC puppy competition. During her involvement, she and her husband became members of the Bull Terrier Club of America, as well as the Bull Terrier Club of Tampa Bay.

“My husband and I have always loved bull terriers,  and after doing our homework we decided to bring two of the little clowns into our home in 2015,” Wissel said. “While earning my master’s degree from UF, I started taking them to handling classes, and entering them into AKC puppy confirmation events. As we became more involved in the show circuit, I was very impressed with how welcoming and kind everyone was to us at these AKC events.”

Wissel and her husband soon became members of the Bull Terrier Club of America as well as the Bull Terrier Club of Tampa Bay.

“We’ve met the most amazing people, who share our passion for bull terriers and purposeful breeding,” Wissel said, adding that she is a strong advocate for diligent breeding and has the “utmost respect” for work that goes into improving breed standards, while producing well-adjusted, healthy and happy dogs.

Her area of interest is reproduction medicine.

“I’m honored to represent the AKC as I continue my education to be become a veterinarian,” Wissel said. “I am appreciative beyond words to have been chosen for this scholarship.”

Share this article with others:
  • E-mail this story to a friend!
  • Facebook
  • Digg
  • Twitter

November-December 2019

Dr. Zimmel

College names interim dean following national search

Long faculty member and administrator Dr. Dana Zimmel’s appointment is effective immediately.

International students

International students honored for achievements

The students were honored for their scholarly accomplishments at a campuswide ceremony.

Kimberly Johns

Staff member honored by international group

Kimberly Johns’ paper chronicling her journey toward professional certification won top honors in competition.

Charlotte and pups

A second-year UF veterinary student has received an American Kennel Club scholarship.

Dr. Brad Case

College shows community commitment over the holidays

The college shows its commitment to the community in meaningful ways over the holidays.

Nancy the tortoise

Stray sulcata tortoise finds new home

The 40-pound tortoise was found wandering loose in High Springs. UF veterinarians were unable to locate her original owner, but one of their own took her in.

...also in this issue

People

News

Around the College